Thursday, August 25, 2016

Can New York MTA Hire A Human Chinese Translator? 吐槽紐約地鐵的中文翻譯

I saw this MTA message on the subway today. As a native Chinese speaker, I naturally read the Chinese first. And its title virtually says "Nobody Wants to Encounter Unnecessary Sexual Conduct During Commute." I couldn't help thinking, "Is there any 'necessary’ sexual conduct during the commute?” It doesn’t make any sense to me at all.
今天坐地鐵看見一個官方的宣傳告示,作爲華人,本能的就先看中文。當看到「任何人都不希望在通勤途中遇到不必要的性行爲」這個大標題時,不自覺的就想:「難道通勤途中還有『必要的』性行爲嗎?」誰有這個……雅興?
I hurriedly checked the English. It says, “Unwanted Sexual Conduct shouldn’t be part of anyone’s commute.” This does make sense, right?
I seriously doubt that MTA has been using a machine to do the Chinese translation. I hope they can hire a human translator instead so that poor Chinese speakers like me won’t get confused and puzzled any more in the future. 
於是趕快去看英文。原來人家說的是「Unwanted Sexual Conduct」。直接翻譯成「性騷擾」不就完了嗎?我懷疑他們是用機器的翻譯的。作爲一名熱愛中文的地鐵乘客,在此向紐約地鐵當局表示強烈抗議!
親愛的朋友,您遇到過類似的說不通的中文翻譯嗎?如果有,一起來吐槽吧,直到他們改正爲止!

No comments:

Post a Comment